Sunday, March 14, 2010

There Goes My Week.

MILAN, Italy -- David Beckham will miss the World Cup after tearing his left Achilles tendon while playing for AC Milan, a person familiar with the injury told The Associated Press. The person, speaking Sunday night on condition of anonymity because an official announcement had not been made, said Beckham "will miss the World Cup for sure." Bidding to become the first English player to appear in four World Cups, Beckham was injured without getting hit during AC Milan's 1-0 Italian League win over visiting Chievo Verona. With only a few minutes remaining and the score 0-0, Beckham was by himself with the ball at his feet, shifted his weight and reached a hand down to his left heel. Beckham then stood up and snapped his wrists like he was breaking a twig in half in a gesture to show the AC Milan bench he knew the tendon was broken. Visibly in pain and in tears, Beckham went to the sideline for medical attention, leaving Milan a man short because all three substitutes had been used. "He felt the muscle begin to come up, which is a typical symptom when you break an Achilles tendon," Milan coach Leonardo told Sky. "This is a real blow."

I actually heard this story and crumbled to my knees. No joke. I waited 4 fucking years for my favorite player to redeem himself and this how the universe repays me? I got the text that said Becks tore his achilles and I hit the deck. It just figures that it happens on the same day I post a video of the actual Achilles making his pregame speech. I was crushed. But then I took some time away from the situation, like a quick breather before overtime to compose myself and I thought of Lion King. Maybe this is like the end of an era. Ya know? We went through the trials and tribulations and now we're able to rise from the rubble and make sense of all this. Like it's a new day, new horizons for all of soccer. And maybe, just maybe, I'll run outside tonight and look up at the stars like I do but this time I'll hear Beckham's voice in the clouds and I'll let out an epic roar and all the blog followers do the same. The sun will shine tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...