Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Katy Perry On the Cover of Vanity Fair - Picture & Interview

Katy Perry is on the newest Vanity Fair cover and talks about her childhood with born-again parents, her career and her marriage to Russell Brand. The interview is pretty great but no one really cares about that because this cover trumps it. Katy Perry knows exactly what she was gifted with and exactly what everyone wants to see so she just exploits the hell out of it. And that is why we love her.

katy perry vanity fair cover born-again parents russell brand
The actual article was a pretty good read and talks about how she didn't have a childhood because her parents are born-again Christian nut-jobs and her boobs. Below are two excerpts about those, starting with the one about her boobs because that takes precedence. Read the rest of the article here.
“I don’t care what people say about my relationship; I don’t care what they say about my boobs. People are buying my songs; I have a sold-out tour. I’m getting incredible feedback from my music.” But despite her immense fame, Perry never forgets what it took to get to where she is. “I don’t take anything for granted,” she says. “There are 500 other girls right behind me. And I know that, because I was one of them. I remember what it’s like to be someone who’s always trying to get there—sending out tons of e-mails … trying to connect with some person who could connect me with some other person. And I wouldn’t be working at this pace now if I didn’t truly know that fame is fleeting.”
No one is bashing you for exploiting it, Katy. Just keep doing it and we will continue to buy your music. In the end, all that matters are the results. Now on to the part about being raised with born-again parents. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in this sort of household. Earlier tonight my mom and I were watching the Washington Capitals lose to the Tampa Bay Lightning and during the game my mom yelled such things at the T.V. as: "Oh you fucking refs, that was a bullshit call", "Fuck off Tampa" and "Martin St. Louis is a little piece of shit", among others.
“My career is like an artichoke,” Katy Perry tells Vanity Fair contributing editor Lisa Robinson. “People might think that the leaves are tasty and buttered up and delicious, and they don’t even know that there’s something magical hidden at the base of it. There’s a whole other side [of me] that people didn’t know existed.”

“I didn’t have a childhood,” she says, adding that her mother never read her any books except the Bible, and that she wasn’t allowed to say “deviled eggs” or “Dirt Devil.” Perry wasn’t even allowed to listen to secular music and relied on friends to sneak her CDs. “Growing up, seeing Planned Parenthood, it was considered like the abortion clinic,” she tells Robinson. “I was always scared I was going to get bombed when I was there…. I didn’t know it was more than that, that it was for women and their needs. I didn’t have insurance, so I went there and I learned about birth control.”

“I think sometimes when children grow up, their parents grow up,” Perry says of her evangelical-minister parents. “Mine grew up with me. We coexist. I don’t try to change them anymore, and I don’t think they try to change me. We agree to disagree. They’re excited about [my success]. They’re happy that things are going well for their three children and that they’re not on drugs. Or in prison.” Perry’s mother confirms that she is proud of her daughter’s success, telling Robinson, “The Lord told us when I was pregnant with her that she would do this.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...