Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dez Bryant Is Exactly Who We Thought He Was.

SAN ANTONIO -- Receiver Dez Bryant has done everything right on the field during the first two days of Dallas Cowboys training camp, but he refuses to participate in an NFL rite of passage. According to the rookie first-round pick, Roy Williams and the other veteran receivers can carry their own shoulder pads after practice. Williams gave his pads to Bryant after Sunday's morning practice, but Bryant declined to carry them. Williams threatened to go to "step two" when talking to reporters.  "I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads." "If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing. I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]." It's a common duty for rookies, who typically get some sort of hazing. Bill Parcells used to make first-round picks bring him water during breaks in practice. The Cowboys' rookie offensive linemen are given awful haircuts by the veterans at some point during each training camp. "Everybody has to go through it," Williams said. "I had to go through it. No matter if you're a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you've still got to do something when you're a rookie.

There's always that one young guy on every team who thinks he's gonna stand up and be tough and put an end to the rookie or freshman hazing. Well let me ask you this; has it ever worked? Nope and you know why? The guys who demand you carry their pads and carry the team equipment are the same guys who had to eat food out of a toilet when they were first year players too. It's the circle of life and I know it better than anyone because I paid my dues in the blogging world. You don't get to the top of the food chain by going at it alone and telling the world to fuck itself in the process. Oh. Wait. Yes you do. But that's blogging and not team sports. Training camp and preseason conditioning is when a team comes together and you can't have a rookie yapping their mouths like the alpha dog that early in the season. I mean the Olson twins on the soccer team were certified vaginas when I was a senior and they turned out OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...