Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I Guess We Got That Shmuck To Play Left Field

Jason Bay rejected a contract offer from the Red Sox over the weekend and said he was prepared to move on. Now he doesn’t have a choice. The Sox moved quickly and agreed with veteran outfielder Mike Cameron last night on a two-year deal worth $15.5 million, according to major league sources. It is contingent on a physical today in Boston. Cameron, who turns 37 in January, has played primarily center field in his 15-year career, winning three Gold Gloves. But he said early in the free agent process he would be willing to play a corner outfield spot for a contending team. Cameron hit .250 with 24 home runs and 70 RBIs for the Brewers last season. He is unlikely to replace the offensive production of Bay, who hit .267 with 36 home runs and 119 RBIs last season. But Cameron provides an upgrade defensively and comes at a far cheaper price. Bay is said to be seeking a five-year deal worth approximately $75 million.

I'm not gonna go on this pro-sox rant about how we're going to win the world series for the next 40 years and defense is the answer and blah, blah, blah. Having said that, we will finish out 2020 with 10 more rings on our fingers. But I just can't get excited over Cameron. Would you get off over a 2 year fix? It's like yeah you might have found miss perfect and shit but once you find out that you both wanna split after 2 years things don't look so enchanting. You sign me up with a young stud like Adrian Gonzalez, someone I can spend my future years growing old with then we'll talk. I guess that's all I want. Security and my souls recognition of its counterpoint in another. Someone who will give me back what I put in. It's like the idea of a two way petting zoo. You pet the animals and they pet you back. I hope to see all of these dreams come true some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...