Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I Always Thought You Were a Bitch Anyway


DETROIT -- Johnny Damon is staying with the Tigers after all, saying "I love Detroit." The Tigers outfielder said before Tuesday night's game against Kansas City that he decided to pass up a chance to return to the Boston Red Sox, with whom he became a cult hero in helping lead the team to a World Series title in 2004, its first since 1918.  The Red Sox claimed Damon on waivers this week, but he had the right to veto a move to Boston because of a no-trade clause in his contract. "These guys really like me here," Damon said Tuesday, adding that he spoke to each of his teammates individually to be sure he was wanted in the Tigers' clubhouse. Damon said he was leaning toward staying put from the beginning. He texted former Red Sox teammate Jason Varitek and talked to David Ortiz, and both tried to convince him to return to Boston. "They told me they wanted a spark," Damon said. A source told ESPNBoston.com earlier in the day that the Red Sox were indeed interested in acquiring Damon and that the waiver claim was not merely to block a move to another team.

The guys really like you there? Yeah? That's why they put you on waivers to give you away, right? OK. I forgot that Johnny Damon is always the smartest guy in the room.  Silly me. I don't say this lightly but I totally want to beat the shit out of him right now. Just a poor man's Jacoby Ellsbury and Ellsbury has been on the field a total of 11 times this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...