Thursday, June 30, 2011

Am I The Only One Worried About The Sox?

PHILADELPHIA -- Mike Cameron, acquired after the 2009 season to be Boston's everyday center fielder, was designated for assignment Thursday, Red Sox genreal manager Theo Epstein announced just before Thursday afternoon's game against the Phillies. Epstein said the timing of the move was forced by the unavailability of third baseman Kevin Youkilis, who fouled a ball off his left foot during Wednesday night's 2-1 loss. X-rays on Youkilis' foot taken Thursday morning were negative, the team said.  Cameron, who had been counted upon to give the Red Sox a productive right-handed bat in the outfield, was batting .149 overall with three home runs and nine RBIs. He was 3-for-his-last-39, as age (38), major surgery (double hernia and double groin), and an inability to adjust to a part-time role appeared to catch up with him. To take Cameron's place on the roster, the Red Sox recalled right-handed hitting Yamaico Navarro, who was en route to Philadelphia and was expected to arrive during the game. Cameron was in the second year of a two-year, $15.5 million deal with the Red Sox. He played in only 48 games last season due to the injuries. "It's on me," Epstein said of a signing that didn't work out the way the Red Sox envisioned it. "No sugar-coating it."

I don't really give a shit about Mike Cameron. I didn't like the signing last year and I didn't want us to keep him around this year. The idea of platooning him in right field with J.D. Drew was my biggest fear and now we know why. Those are 2 guys are who are way too unreliable and have been for their entire careers. And now I don't know where this team is going. Yeah we're in 2nd place and could smash the Yanks any day of the week and twice on Sunday but that doesn't do it me. I don't want to be in first place by 3 games all year. I want 10 game leads. I want to mash teams 8-1 every night. I don't want to be worried about J.D. Drew contributing or questioning Lackey's arm strength or having to rely on big spot starts from Wakefield. All I want to do is rake because that's what I expect from this team but we're simply not doing that right now and it's disheartening as shit. We're one bad injury away from falling apart just like last year. I don't want to go back to that. I won't go back to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...