Thursday, April 28, 2011

God's Gift Is a 6 Foot 8 Nigerian?

St. John's coach Steve Lavin has to hope his newest recruit is as impressive on the basketball court as his name. God's Gift Achiuwa -- a 6-foot-8 power forward and first-team juco All-American from Erie (N.Y.) Community College -- is the ninth player to commit to the Red Storm for next season. St. John's has the No. 3-ranked recruiting class, according to ESPN Insider's top 25. The Nigerian native, whose father is a minister, chose St. John's over Washington and Cincinnati. Achiuwa averaged 22.3 points, 13.1 rebounds and 2.2 blocks for Erie last season and adds some much-needed size to the wing-heavy recruiting class. He will have two years of eligibility with the Red Storm.

It's a bold move to be Nigerian and name your son God's Gift. I always thought children were more of a burden for black fathers rather that gifts? That's what the statistics show, right? I'll stop there. I'll bet my left nut that this kid flames out after a season and is back in junior college a.k.a. community college by 2012 or he's in prison. Hey, facts are facts. I didn't write the book on crime rates, I simply read it.


P.S. This is a racist post? In the words of Lex Luther in the popular Smallville series, "Dad, you have no idea what I'm capable of."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...