Friday, July 31, 2009

What Up V-Mart?

CLEVELAND -- The Boston Red Sox got the big bat they were looking for, acquiring All-Star slugger Victor Martinez from the Cleveland Indians on Friday. The rebuilding Indians received right-hander Justin Masterson and minor league pitchers Nick Hagadone and Bryan Price. The trade came shortly before the 4 p.m. ET deadline to complete deals without waivers.

Well thank God we got the corner infielder with the big bat and more pitching help. Oh. Wait. We traded away one of our top pitching prospects for a 30 year old catcher/first baseman who had an awful year in 2008. It would be one thing if we shored up our catching situation for the next 5 years with 'Tek on the steady decline but even that's suspect now. Awesome. I love this fucking deal. Call me old school or full of common sense but you can't win without loads of pitching in the playoffs. I don't agree with trading Bucholz and Bard for Halladay but I also don't like giving away Masterson and 2 other potentially great pitchers for Martinez. I just really had my heart set on Adrian Gonzalez. Now that's a guy I would be fine with giving away Bucholz and Bard for. Anyway. I'm not saying it's a terrible deal but I don't think we took 5 steps toward another ring either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...